Wow so much this week so lets dig in shall we.
As you might have seen from this weeks sneak peaks we have added a whole bunch of items to make interesting puzzles. Not to mention you can tune into your favorite web stations with the radio object. But before I get to all these cool items let me tell you about some of the other changes that we have and things we have added.
|Get yourself a radio and get your groove on!!! Click on the radio to the left or visit the Entertainment Store|
- Secure Trade has been improved - when you drag an item over an avatar thumbnail and choose “Start Secure Trade” the window should pop up on the other user’s screen (we’ve done away with the “Initiate Trade” button). Also, you won’t be able to interrupt a trade and will get a message if you try to trade with someone that is already engaged in a trade.
- Lot thumbnails look better now - just a bit at least
- Name your lot! The Edit Lot description button on the bottom left of the Home Viewer now lets you buy and assign name plates to your lots!
- The front page now shows the owner(s) of lots featured there and shows the top 10 most recently edited persona descriptions
- Lots of work done behind the scenes that will allow us to do cool things next week alerting you to when people buy your store items while you are in game, updating your inventory immediately even if you buy from the site store, etc. You might see some friendly Admin Messages pop up these week as we test that new notification system!
- So that you know who we are, all developers and developers only have an account with names that begin “Tirnua “. Examples, “Tirnua Lee”, “Tirnua Sarah”, “Tirnua Luc”, etc.
- Now, when you change your active persona you will also be changing to that as your default persona. I.e. when you go to the blog or forum you will be who you are in the game
- We’ve changed the Tirnua lots so that the for sale interaction only shows up on objects in the stores now. You won’t see it on the community centers’ furniture, for example.
This week’s update will come tomorrow afternoon - it is completely jam packed; lots of stuff to make new puzzles, more ways to feature active users on the front page, the things Luc has given you sneak peaks of, etc.
Lee has created a very, very fun lot that you have to race through quickly, avoiding cubes coming at you on conveyor belts, etc. It will be live tomorrow, complete with his dodgy choice of radio station
Audrey has added 2 more tutorials. Please add your comments to the forum under the Introductory Tutorials topic.
Greg added a radio object, which you’ll be able to pick up from the Entertainment Store later this week.
You can tune it into any station that you’d find at shoutcast.com, among other sites. While switched ON it will stream the station you’ve chosen to you and everyone in the lot, even if you are not there!
We know that some of our players are DJs or can give examples of streams they listen to - we hope that you’ll respond to this blog with your suggestions.
The top of shout cast today had the station “S K Y . F M - Absolutely Smooth Jazz - the world’s smoothest jazz 24 hours a day”. To stream that into your lot, click on the radio, choose the “Tune Station” interaction and enter 22.214.171.124:7702
As another example, I listen to KQED radio, so I searched for that on shoutcast.com
When the results came up I clicked the yellow “Tune In” button next to KQED Public Radio, saved the file and opened it with Notepad to get the url 126.96.36.199:8000 ( leave off the http:// bit)
Please share your favorite station URLs and other thoughts about Tirnua’s first radio!
We have put together some user tutorials or how to videos that we would love to get your feedback on. Please let us know if you find them useful, if you would like to see more of them, and what topics you would like to see most etc.
Final sneak preview for this week electric objects.
As you can see in the sequence, the red rugs on the floor, before and after the door, can open and close the red electric door (By turning the red current on and the off). They work much like the switches, but one rug can only turn on or only turn off an electric circuit. Master Puzzle makers for example will use the rugs without the on switch to only let one person go through the door.
Another Sneak Preview for this week:
Along with the switches, we added some conveyor belts that are controlled by the same color (10) switches. See the previous post. The switches now control Doors and Belts.
You can use that feature to just turn things on or off, or as part of a more complex puzzle (hint).
We are also adding a bit of fun with the “branching conveyor belt” (it looks like there is a circle on it). Rather than move the items forward, this Conveyor belt randomly send them left, right or forward.
Soon we will add Tirnua puzzle rooms which will pay players some Taus about 3 or 4 times a day, based on their ability to solve the puzzles. Since we have the puzzle pieces, we would like to see some interesting puzzles made by you, that we will use as the base for those Tirnua puzzle rooms. We would like the puzzle to require several Tirnuan working together to achieve the goal.
Again, as you help us put those puzzles together, you will find that you are missing a key element. Please add a comment here with your suggestions, we will be acting on it swiftly.
Next week, you will have a few more pieces for your puzzles: Electric Doors, switches and a new controller.
The electric circuits are organized by colors (10), and you need to be able to walk to a switch to turn it on or off.
Of course if a door is closed, it cannot be crossed. These and a few more objects I will describe tomorrow will bring an all new level to the puzzle games you have been creating!
The controller will let the users or owners reset the switches and therefore the game.
Thank you so much for all those puzzles you made, they are a lot of fun and challenge! They motivate the whole team too!
Feel free to suggest new puzzle pieces in your comments on this blog.
Yesterday we added a few features and one or two bugs that we want to get fixed before the weekend. Also we have implemented a better way to Secure Trade.
First let me tell you about what we fixed:
• We accidentally disabled 2D clothes and so we have fixed this.
• We had a few issues surrounding dress me that could cause a crash.
We have turned on a better way to Secure Trade. Please read the illustrated walk through on the wiki at http://tirnua.catroo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Secure_Trade
This announcement comes with a few warnings. This is a early implementation of Secure Trade and we would like you to test it but please do not trade anything you really like. Here are a few gotchas that we uncovered during our internal testing:
- Let everyone know you are secure trading because it is currently possible to interrupt someone else’s secure trade without any warning. So be careful before you hit the accept button.
- Sometimes error messages will pop up that are not very informative. These most typically are when you are trading more money than you currently have.
Did I mention that this is an early implementation of Secure Trade and we need your help testing it to find issues? So please feel free to trade and let us know of any bugs but most importantly please be careful what you trade. Might I suggest you look me up in game I have a few hundred roses and flowers I can trade you might even get me to trade something more valuable!
- Also for reasons of decency you can not trade the clothes you are wearing!
Secure Trade How To:
Drag the item you wish to trade on to the Tirnua thumbnail. Just like you do when you go to gift someone.
Once you click the “Start Secure Trade” button you will get the following window:
From the above window each person can add items, add TAU, or Cancel Trade. Once each person as checked “Accept Trade” box you will each get a trade successful notice.
This pretty much covers what we did tonight. Let us know about Secure Trade over in the forums support page and remember this is still an early implementation so use caution.
Check it out Tirnuans, we have a new place to hang out! We have replaced the old community center with a very cool new one. Look for organized gatherings there soon.
In addition, we have many other goodies for you this week. Luc already blogged about the Conveyor Belt and the Finish Line Object that we are introducing this week to enhance the puzzle games. The conveyor belt will move whenever an avatar steps on it or when a cube is pushed on it. The finish line object (publishing a draft version of this) enables users to separate the winners from the losers and award the winners prizes. We made improvements to the controller by adding the ability to see the active area and by allowing one controller to control the whole lot. To go along with all of this we added 4 new rug objects for enter and exit puzzles: an enter, an exit, a win and a lose. You can purchase them from the web entertainment store here Entertainment Category.
Other Changes and Things you will Notice
- A performance boost - you should see improvements with lag on lots with many avatars and when loading avatars on lots.
- We have added a new Tirnua Lot called Tirnua Game Lot1. We will be adding these periodically.
- New hair - we have new hair choices for both male and female avatars.
- New icons for avatar and lot thumbnails and new icons for avatar and lot decriptions.
- New AFK interaction has been added that makes your avatar transparent when you are AFK. As soon as you do anything in the game, your avatar will return to normal.
- Tiles and Walls are have been made sellable. To place one that you want to set for sale, you will need to press Ctrl+Alt when dragging the object onto the lot.
- To roll the dice, you are now required to walk up to it in order to select the action - this just means that your avatar will have to have a clear path to it.
- Same thing goes with the ATM, when you click on the interaction to use it, you will walk to it.
- The monkey is gone - we removed the 3D Monkey from the game. If one of your personas is the monkey you can still be the monkey but if you switch it to another avatar class you will not be able to go back to the monkey again.
- You can no longer purchase 2D clothing from the clothing stores.
- The Top Hat has become a RARE object! It is no longer available for sale in the clothing store.
- The default persona has been changed to the 3D avatar.
- The home page has been updated with new cooler lot pictures and you can see our latest blog posts summarized there also.
- The forum has a new banner.
- The wiki now has unified login like the blog and the forum. You will not be required to login in order to go the wiki once you have already logged in elsewhere.
- The blog now shows your avatar thumbnails, links to your persona page and, most importantly, adds a feed event to your page whenever you make a comment on a blog post. It should now be easier to figure out how to leave comments too!
- We reduced the size of the campfire so it won’t take up as much space.
- On the map view you can now search lot descriptions.
Wow, a big laundry list of exciting things this week. Have fun and see you in Tirnua!
P.S. If you’d like to purchase a starter kit for making cube puzzles, click the following button to get a shopping cart full of items you will mostly likely need.
My Homepage |
Home | Game | Blog | About